Below are the proceedures I used to attach a Suse 9.0 Linux Box to a Windows 2000 Active Directory using the Windows authentication with windows users and groups.
1. Install Samba 3.0.2. I installed the entire Samba package. I'm unsure if all is required but just to be on the safe side I did. www.samba.org.
2. Copy in the requried portions of /etc/samab/smb.conf.
3. Copy in the required portions of the /etc/krb5.conf.
4. Copy in the required portions of the /etc/nsswitch.conf
5. Restart SMB and Winbind
6. Run net ads join -U will. It should ask for your password and then create the machine account and set the password.
7. As root run 'kinit will@AGHEALTH123.COM. This should ask for a password and then return to a prompt with no errors. If you incurr any erros then stop at this point and troubleshoot.
8. Run wbinfo -u to verify you receive all the AD users.
9. Run wbinfo -g to verify you receive all the AD groups.
10. Run getent passwd.
11. Run getent group.
12. If you want the user to have a home directory you need to create the home dir, such as /home/AGHEALTH123/will, and give the user access.